Cate Blanchett’s the top is so many ways. The top star, the top actress. And in Carol she plays the top. In the third of our multiple episodes about Carol (2015), the topic is the perfect merge of actor and role with Blanchett as Carol Aird. For this conversation, Murtada welcomes Maggie Larkin to discuss how Blanchett’s screen persona makes her the ideal actor to play this role.
Click to Listen:
The film is available on vudu.
- How many times have we seen Carol – why does it resonate?
- Why is Cate Blanchett so well suited to play Carol? What makes her such a compelling screen presence is what makes her perfect for Carol. The confidence, the glamour, being a consummate actor playing someone who’s always putting on a facade, forced to hide themselves from the world. She plays the text and the subtext, yet never shows all her cards.
- Cate always fares better when she shares the screen with other women – think Judi Dench, Sandra Bullock etc.- She is far too intelligent and dominant when paired with men.
- Deep dive into a few particular scenes that prove Blanchett is the perfect Carol.
- The chemistry between Cate and Rooney Mara.
- Favorite press tour moments 1) Santa barbara Award presentation 2) At Cannes.
- Blanchett recieved a SAG nomination for Nightmare Alley. Will she be Oscar nominated?
Previous Episodes in the Carol MiniSeries:
Like? Rate and Review. Have a question? Leave us a comment.