- Did we need another Robin Hood? Which one is our favorite?
- The movie has ideas about birthright and class that are interesting. Robin is first shown as “salt of the earth” soldier with honor, compared to John who’s only talent is being born a prince. But then they give Robin a story about having a great father and “exceptional legacy”? It’s perplexing.
- The differences between what we know of Robin Hood and this version.
- Cate’s best scene is when Marion learns of her husband’s death. Max von Sydow is wonderful too receiving the same news. Their deleted scene together is poignant.
- Does Cate have chemistry with Crowe? He’s on record that she’s his best on screen kiss.
- Russell Crowe – his 5th and last movie with Scott (Gladiator, A Good Year, American Gangster, Body of Lies) – they clashed on set, his last romantic lead, his last top lining a big budget studio movie.
- Lea Seydoux and Oscar Isaac’s performances ; their intro with Eileen Atkins – talk about a stacked cast she plays Eleanor of Aquitaine – snaps the movie alive.
- What have we been watching in quarantine: Paul Mescal in Normal People.
Cate Blanchett in ‘Robin Hood’
It’s not Maid Marian but rather Marion Loxely, a more modern take on Robin Hood’s paramour, played by Cate Blanchett in Ridley Scott’s 2010 version of the folklore tale of the legendary outlaw and his merry men. For this discussion Murtada Elfadl welcomes back Teo Bugbee. Subscribe: Apple Podcasts / Stitcher / Spotify / iHeart Follow along Robin Hood is streaming on STARZ. What is the film about? A more realistic / historical take on the legend of Robin Hood and his merry men. What year did it come out? May 2010 debuted at Cannes. Who does Cate play? Marion Loxley, not Maid Marian. She’s no damsel in distress, she fights, she leads an army. How is Cate introduced? Immediately as part of the prologue, the children of the forest raid her barn Box Office: Domestic = $105,269,730 Int’l =$216,400,011 – one of Cate’s most widely seen films. Critical Response: Metacritic : 53. RT: 43. Topics discussed:
4 thoughts on “Cate Blanchett in ‘Robin Hood’”
whats the color money baby? love the pod… that anecdote about the deleted scene with von Sydow is gold..
Robin Hood was actually filmed in England and Wales, not Hungary and Croatia.
LikeLiked by 1 person
ha! i thought that was what imdb said but perhaps I was looking at the wrong robin hood…
Pingback: Fashion Moments We Hope to See at Venice – SUNDAYS WITH CATE